Sunday, March 21, 2010

Purple Day-March 26th

I know I haven't posted in a looong time, and I promise to post some pictures soon of what we have been up to the last few months. For today, I am posting to help raise awareness for epilepsy. Recently, one of my close friend's daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy. Her daughter is a wonderful little girl, and she is very bright. In an effort to raise awareness and help her daughter deal with her epilepsy, my friend is having a challenge over on her blog.

For every entry they "receive, Cari will donate 25¢ per entry for a total of fifty dollars to a non-profit organization that works towards epilepsy awareness and/or research and Holly will match Cari’s donation. Multiple entries are possible. One entry equals doing one of the seven items listed above."

Even if you do not choose to participate in the challenge, I encourage everyone to wear a purple shirt on Friday to support this effort. :)

Here is a link to the Purple Day website. It tells about Purple Day and how it came about. It was started by nine year old Cassidy Megan to raise epilepsy awareness globally.


Also, here are some sites that are there to educate the public on epilepsy.
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/
http://www.epilepsyut.org/
http://www.akfus.org/about-anita.php

I got the following info off of the bookscoops blog.
"In addition, we wanted to raise awareness about epilepsy because it is the second most common reason people see a neurologist behind migraine. Epilepsy affects 50 million people world wide and about 3 million people living in the United States have epilepsy. More people have this condition than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and Parkinson’s disease combined. Unfortunately, a lot of myths and false ideas are still being perpetuated about epilepsy (such as it is a mental condition or that epilepsy is contagious). Some of these misconceptions have caused many people to become isolated and live in fear and shame that someone will find out about their condition and many people have faced discrimination based on their medical diagnosis."

No comments: